Monday, July 23, 2007

Beyond measure......



I had the best Saturday that I've had in a very long time. I wasn't sure what to expect. Sometimes I set my expectations too high, then am disappointed. This was not the case.

The Nashville Women's Prison Annex held a "Day of Beauty" on Saturday. There were booths set up for manicures, pedicures, makeup, hair, foot baths/foot massages, and chair massages. Each lady was given a gift bag that included full size shampoo, conditioner, body wash, tooth brush, and a various assortment of small items. Everything was donated...even the actual bag itself. These gift bags were treasured as if they contained all the riches of the world. Some tears were shed out of thankfulness.

I was one of the volunteers for chair massage. There were 3 of us. We were one of the most popular booths to say the very least. I have no idea how many bodies I had beneath my hands between 12:00 & 4:00, but I know it was a LOT! We had an incredible time. These women were some of the funniest, loving and caring individuals that I have met in some time. There were times when we were all laughing....there were times when there was silence because the gals were so relaxed. There were some tears from simply being touched. They all suffered from touch depravity. When I simply laid my hand on a shoulder or back, I could feel "melting." I fell in love with each and every one of them. This day boosted self esteem like one could never imagine. Over and over again we heard "You guys are such a blessing. Thank you for giving up your Saturday to spend time with us." If they only knew we weren't giving up anything. We were being blessed beyond our comprehension.

There was a concert and words of appreciation at 4:00. The women gathered out on the lawn in front of the entrance to the service building. Standing inside looking out over the sea of faces, I saw so much joy. As the Christian singer sang, many wept openly and some raised hands in worship. Their spirit reached within me hugging my heart. As we left, several that we'd ministered to grabbed us and hugged us deeply thanking us once more.

It was a day that I wish to repeat many times over.....

3 Comments:

Blogger Linda Russell said...

Wow- this leads you to the subject of your true calling

I believe you are there!

I am so moved by your blog.

9:04 AM

 
Blogger Maximus Doom said...

It is only when we forget ourselves and give to others that we actually find ourselves — like so many other oddities about life and Bibles; using the weak to overcome the strong; using the foolish to confound the wise; least becoming the greatest; it's no wonder people flocked about the Christ. I wonder if we would even recognize Him if He were walking among us. Sounds like a powerful experience. We easily dismiss the needs of the world for not being able to solve them all at once; but every journey begins with a single step. You took a great step!

12:17 PM

 
Blogger Andrew Stanfield said...

Usually it is unexpected thoughtfulness that leaves the greatest mark in someone's memory. That was an incredibly generous thing you did.

8:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home